In this episode, J Kim Wright shares her secret to living her purpose fearlessly. Kim suggests making promises you can’t keep as a way to push yourself further, overcoming fear and doubt. Her advice for overcoming self-doubt, the inner critic, and fear? Step into your mission and step out of your identity. She dared herself to be great then trained herself to “make unreasonable requests and to be unstoppable.”
Kim Wright is a pioneer, leader and the author of the book, Lawyers as Peacemakers: Practicing Holistic, Problem-Solving Law. In 2009, the American Bar Association (ABA) named Kim as a “legal rebel, finding new ways to practice law, represent their clients, adjudicate cases and train the next generation of lawyers”.
Since 1998, Kim has been leading continuing education programs. She also consults with courts, law firms, organizations, law schools, workshop leaders, authors, documentary filmmakers, and the media. She is a central hub and referral source for lawyers and for clients seeking conscious lawyers.
Links Mentioned in the Show
Timeline of the Show’s Topics 😉
- 01:14 : Her family background which triggered her journey towards the field of law, her initial stereotypes of lawyers and how that changed afterwards prompting her to become a holistic lawyer and a peacemaker at the same time,
- 10:07 : Where she got her courage to get out of her comfort zone and declare herself as a holistic lawyer,
- 13:03 : Her unique story about her ex-husband, how they met and how he ended up paying for her bar exam,
- 14:57 : The move to Portland where she spearheaded gatherings for lawyers and started using the internet as a platform to spread her message through her website, an online magazine and video documentaries and which ultimately led to an invitation from the ABA (American Bar Association) for her to write the book, Lawyers as Peacemakers, which was named one of the ABA’s Flagship Series and was on the ABA best-seller list for seven months.
- 25:08 : How she battles her inner critic by stepping out of her identity and talking about her mission,
- 36:34 : Giving up her home base to travel full-time, her version of home, and what it feels like surrendering to her mission and her purpose, and
- 38:55 : Her planned trips and activities for this year, her advice to lawyers including having the integrity and the courage to stand up and fix the broken system and what a resilient lawyer means to her.